Welcome to the Filtered Thoughts Debates

Home Forums Debates Welcome to the Filtered Thoughts Debates

This topic contains 52 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  adminguy 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

adminguy
    Keymaster
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 10

Hello Filtered Thinkers,

This forum has been set up to launch the Filtered Thoughts Debates, where Filtered Thinkers will be able to participate in debates over selected topics.

The expectation is that the debates will be more in-depth than the usual threads on the forum, with participants being expected to provide good reasons for their posts. Participants will be expected to question and challenge views put forth by others.

As is the practice with threads on the site, participants in the debate who make good posts following the criteria described here will get points; in fact, they will get a minimum of 5o points per post, so participating in the debates is an opportunity to catch up on the current Rolling Competition leaders.

So, with that said, we are asking you to do the following on this thread:

Suggest topics that you believe will be good debate topics. A good debate topic is one that has many points of view and many aspects that can be discussed, so that the debate continues for a long time. Along with your suggestion, please describe the topic that you want to be debated, and state why you think it is a good topic for debate. You can suggest as many topics as you like.

Vote on the suggestions put forward by others. As you may notice, there is the opportunity now to rate posts from 1 to 5 stars; use this to vote on topics that you think are debate-worthy, and those that you think are not.

We will allow the suggestions / voting to continue for a week, then on Monday,28 May, we will select the topics chosen for the debates. The debates themselves will continue till Saturday, 2 June, and once they are ended, the person who had the most points from them will be published, and will be awarded the title Filtered Debater.

So get ready with your suggestions, and we hope to see you here when the debates start!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  adminguy.
    Thoughtful Comments: 0.

CHIJANN
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3320

Topic suggested: DIVORCE
    DIVORCE is the separation of married couples
    It is a good topic to be debated on since it is very rampant in our society now, killing many marriages.

Samson
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 4730

Suggested topic: Military or Democracy

The discussion will be to point out both the good and bad of each and conclude which is preferable in this state of the Nation.

Debaters will have to reference past leaders that either did good or bad as any of the government from different countries and relate to Nigeria.
    Such research will reduce the tendency of running out of points.

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED: PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SCHOOL
    Private school is a school run by a private individual while Public school is a school run by the government
    This debate will help to enlighten people to know which is better between the two so as to make our education rise again

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  CHIJANN.

Volani E
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 190

Suggested Topic: MOTIVE OR FACT.
    I chose to suggest this topic simply because of the mindset of the society this days, in the sense that, most people get judged or victimized just by providing some paper work called evidence or by staring at the Cover of a Book without wanting to know the reason or motive behind such an action.
    It’s high time we make things right in this regard.

CHIJANN
    Participant

Suggested Topic: BOARDING SCHOOL AND DAY SCHOOL
    BOARDING SCHOOL is a type of school where the students live in the school dormitory while in DAY SCHOOL, the students come to school from outside the school.
    This is a good topic for debate since it will throw up points that will make people to choose the one that suits them

CHIJANN
    Participant

SUGGESTED TOPIC: LAND OR AIR TRANSPORT
    LAND TRANSPORT: This is a transport mode whereby people, goods, services are moved from one point to another through land
    AIR TRANSPORT: Everything is moved through air
    It is a good debate topic since it will try to reveal which of the transport modes that is better.

Senroso
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 650

Suggested Topic: unexpected gift

In the event you came across a misplaced bag with loaded cash,  would you take it or give the police,  who u know probably won’t refund it???

This topic will aim to reveal if wether the Nigerian police are trustworthy or wether coming across lost cash is a blessing in disguise

CHIJANN
    Participant

POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND
    They say police is our friend
    This is a good debate that will make us know how many people agree to this.

CHIJANN
    Participant

DIALOGUE AND STRIKE
    DIALOGUE: Having round table discussion
    STRIKE: downing tools
    This is a good debate topic in that we will find out which one is more effective in resolving issues

JanetColette
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 640

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Suggested topic: Feminism.</p>
    Feminism is the movement for equality of both sexes.  What does it entail? What is your view on it? Does it hold any grounds?

CHIJANN
    Participant

NIGHT AND DAY TRAVEL
    NIGHT TRAVEL: MOVEMENT FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AT NIGHT
    DAY TRAVEL: MOVEMENT FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER DURING THE DAY
    This is a good topic to debate on so as to help people know the advantages and disadvantages of the two.

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED: EARLY MARRIAGE
    EARLY MARRIAGE is when a male/female marries before the age of 18years
    It is a good topic to debate on so as to know if it is advisable.

Samson
    Participant

Suggested topic: Privatization

This is the transfer of the ownership of a company from government to private individuals or organisation.
    It can also be the right awarded by government to these privates to establish and own a public service centre.

The debate will be on whether privatization is a good concept and how good it is or whether it is bad and how bad, all in relation to Nigeria but with references to other countries.

Samson
    Participant

Suggested topic: State of the Nation’s Unity

Recently the agitation of Biafra was at its peak and this situation steered up so many pent up emotions that long lasts.

This might seem a very sensitive topic to debate but since we all filtered thinkers, supporting or opposing points will be more intelligent than the majority of outsiders.

Should Nigeria remain one at all cost or will the splitting do us more good than harm?

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED: MALE AND FEMALE CHILD-WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT?
    This topic is good for debate so as to calm down the nerves of persons disturbing themselves over one sex or the other

Uballet
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 130

Proposed topic: TRANSGENDER.

This is someone whose recent gender does not correspond to his original birth sex.

Yes it’s a free world but should those engaging in this be stopped or allowed to interrupt the environment? what is your take on gender transformation?

Adebulu
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 560

SUGGESTED TOPIC: BROKEN HOME

This topic is to address the effect of broken homes on the couple, children and the society as a whole.

I think, for our society to be a better place and be less free of waywardness both intending couple and newly wedded couple should know the effect of broken home on the society too.

Aezolase
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 2580

Suggested Topic : Should religion and the state/government be one or separate??

This topic is to address the menace faced by policy makers when it comes to policy making. In a country like Nigeria that is highly religious, some policies that can transform the country are being discarded as to what this or that religion supports. Debating on this topic will highlight whether government will be successful on its

own, or whether it needs the backing of religion.

A good religion teaches morality and tolerance, should government work in handy with religion?

Religion may also result in nepotism, as such it will only favor certain groups of people. Should the government still go with it?

So, should Nigeria be a secular nation, or should our constitution be based on religion?

For me, I believe all developed nations that incorporates religion with governance are one sided, Nigeria has two major religions, and each religion would wanna be in power. This is what leads to division and lack of unity. Nigeria will be great if the government is independent of religion

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Aezolase.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Aezolase.

CHIJANN
    Participant

SUGESTED TOPIC: DEATH PENALTY
    Death penalty is the killing of one as his/her penalty for the offence he/she commited
    It is a good topic to be debated on so as to know if it should be continued with or droped

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC: MARRIAGE TO A WORKING CLASS LADY
    A WORKING CLASS LADY is a lady already making money
    It is a good topic to debate on so as to know the merits and demerits of getting married to them.

chibaby
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 610

Suggested topics : ARE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE EFFECTIVE OR ARE THEY JUST A SOPHISTICATED MEANS FOR STALKING PEOPLE.
    MY NAME IS CHIBABY COSMAS,AND I AM HERE FOR THE MOTION WHICH STATES THAT “SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE IS EFFECTIVE MY REASONS ARE IT IS THROUGH THERE YOU GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE HAPPENINGS OF LIFE AND ALSO GET TO MEET DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH SOCIAL CALIBANS AND TO MY OWN VIEW YOU CAN ONLY GET DUPED IF ONLY YOU ALLOW YOURSELF TO FALL A VICTIM OF PONZI SITES OR PEOPLE WHO ARE ONLY THERE TO SCAM PEOPLE EITHER PHYSICALLY,MATERIALLY OR SPIRITUALLY .
    SO I WANT YOU TO TELL ME,IF SOCIAL NETWORKING IS NOT EFFECTIVE,HOW DO YOU GET TO KNOW FILTERED THOUGHT? IS FILTHERED THOUGHT NOT EFFECTIVE ? I WONT STOOD SO LOW TO THE FACT THAT STATES “SOCIAL NETWORKING IS A SOPHISTICATED MEANS FOR STALKING PEOPLE WHEN A LOT MORE OF PEOPLE HAS BENEFITTED MORE ON SOCIAL NETWORKING,SO WITH THIS FOLLOWING POINT OF MINE I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONVINCE YOU THAT SOCIAL NETWORKING IS EFFECTIVE AND NOT JUST A SOPHISTICATED MEANS FOR STALKING OTHERS,THANKS

chibaby
      Participant

For more understanding of the topics ARE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES EFFECTIVE OR ARE THEY JUST A SOPHISTICATED MEANS FOR STALKING PEOPLE.
      SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES IS A COMPUTER BASED TECHNOLOGY THAT FACILITATES THE SHARING OF IDEAS AND INFORMATION AND THE BUILDING OF VIRTUAL NETWORKS AND COMMUNITIES. BY DESIGN ,SOCIAL MEDIA IS INTERNET BASED AND OFFERS USERS EASY ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION AND OTHER CONTENTS SUCH AS PHOTOSHARING,BLOGGING,SOCIAL BLOGGING,SOCIAL NETWORK,VIDEO SHARING,BUSINESS NETWORK,VIRTUAL WORDS,REVIEW AND MORE
      FOR INDIVIDUAL SOCIAL MEDIA IS USED TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH FRIENDS AND EXTENDED FAMILY ,NETWORK FOR CAREER OPPORTUNITIES,FIND PEOPLE ARROUND THE GLOBE
      FOR BUSINESS ,SOCIAL MEDIA IS AN INDISPENSABLE TOOL FOR FINDING AND ENGAGING WITH CUSTOMER,SALES ADVERTISING AND PROMOTING GAUGING TRENDS AND OFFERING CUSTOMER SERVICE
      GOVERNMENT AND POLITICIAN UTILIZE SOCIAL MEDIA TO ENGAGE WITH CONSTITUENTS AND VOTERS
      SOCIAL MEDIA CRITICISM OVERUSE OF SOCIAL MEDIA USE HAS BEEN LIKENED TO ADDICTION AND CONTRIBUTES TO INACTIVENESS,STRESS,AND JEOLOUSY ,HEAVY SOCIAL MEDIA USE HAS BEEN LINKED TO DEPRESSION
      SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES HAS BEEN USED AS A CONDUCT FOR MISLEADING INFORMATION AND FALSEHOOD .

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics: Abortion,right and wrong.
    Abortion which simply means the ending of pregnancy by removing the foetus or embryo before it can survive outside the uterus
    Considering this topics we will gets to know the view of people about what they know on the stated topics.
    We will get to know the advantages and disadvantages
    Well i cannot bring myself to say i am in favour of abortion .i dont want anyone to have one. I want people to use contraceptives to be foolproof.i want people to be loved,wanted and well cared for
    I cannot bring myself to say i am against choice . i want women who are young ,poor,single or all three to be able to direct the course of their lives. I want women who have who have had all the children they want or can afford or their bodies can withstand to be able to decide their future.
    Your opinions are needed ,so what are your say on this topic.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics: Abortion,right and wrong.
    Abortion which simply means the ending of pregnancy by removing the foetus or embryo before it can survive outside the uterus
    Considering this topics we will gets to know the view of people about what they know on the stated topics.
    We will get to know the advantages and disadvantages
    Well i cannot bring myself to say i am in favour of abortion .i dont want anyone to have one. I want people to use contraceptives to be foolproof.i want people to be loved,wanted and well cared for
    I cannot bring myself to say i am against choice . i want women who are young ,poor,single or all three to be able to direct the course of their lives. I want women who have who have had all the children they want or can afford or their bodies can withstand to be able to decide their future.i want women who are in bad marriage or destructive relationships to avoid being trapped by pregnancy
    How do we change the mindset about abortion. Your opinions are needed

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED:FOREIGN AND LOCAL PRODUCTS
    foreign products are goods produced outside the country while local products are goods produced in the country
    This is a good topic to debate on so as to know the one that is better and to be patronized and reasons why we should go for them.

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED: MIXED SCHOOLS AND BOYS / GIRLS SCHOOLS
    MIXED SCHOOLS are schools made up of both boys and girls in attendance while BOYS or GIRLS SCHOOLS are schools made up of either boys or girls in attendance
    This is a good topic to debate on so as to know the one that is more suitable.

CHIJANN
    Participant

TOPIC SUGGESTED: SEX EDUCATION IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS
    This has to do with the teaching of kids about Sex matters.
    Its a good topic to debate on in that we will find out if its advisable to do that or not

Samson
    Participant

Suggested Topic: Heredity or Environment, which one influences an individual the most.

A proper debate on this topic will clear the air on some sensitive topics like homosexualism which some school of thought believe to be environmentally influenced while another school of thought think it’s hereditary.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics: DO VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES CONTRIBUTES TO YOUTH VIOLENCE
    The topics will be very much interesting because it will help to know the causes of increasingly domestic violent among our youths
    And also know if those games are detrimental or useful to health
    Many people says its used for leisure and to drive boredom,well i dont know that why your opinions are needed on this.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics:CAN LOVE BE FAKED
    This topics will be much interesting and also helps to educate peoples about the perspectives of love.
    Well for me it can be faked but can not forever be faked . i dont know about you.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP IS BETTER THAN JUST DATING.
    I find this topic interesting because it will be useful for relationship goal. Much opinion will be gotten from this topic .
    It will help us to know the difference between being in serious relationship and dating

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic – IN A RELATIONSHIP LOVE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY
    This topic will be interesting because it is part of our life,what we experience everyday
    Some have rich guy,who beats them everyday.
    Some have poor guys who love them and respect their feelings but there is no money.
    Your opinions are needed to get the fact done

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- ARE CONVERSATION WITH EXES STILL OKAY?
    Some say he or she might be an ex,but now their relationship is strictly that of friends,other say once you cross that line ,there isn,t any un- crossing it and being friends with your ex isn,t cool. I am sure there isn,t a one size fits an answer ,but i am interested in hearing thoughts
    But do you think conversing with your exes can ruin the present relationship?

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- SHOULD SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BE MADE VOLUNTARY IN HIGH SCHOOL?
    The topic will be interesting especially to parents and students of high class.
    Some people say high school is a place you come to live life as pleased
    While other still abide in the word self discipline
    But whatever it might be it is pertinent to note that where attendance is taken,students are always serious in coming early to lecture but how sure are we if everybody that attended motive is to pay attention to lecturer or to distract others ?
    Nevertheless it might not be the final outcome ,thoughts are also needed

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic-IS RELIGION A DO OR DIE AFFAIR OR CHOICE?
    Considering the situation of our country Nigeria,this topics will be good for people to discuss and give their own suggestion on what they know about religion
    Some people force other to follow their religion under duress
    While some say it a thing of choice

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- ARE VOTING RIGHTS VIOLATED?
    This topics is interesting as election would be arround the corner,according to electoral commission,any person who attained the age of 18 have reach the voting age
    Then why are this right violated as some state do allow kids who is not up to this age limit to vote? Well i dont know the reason for this,your ideas are welcome

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics- CAN BULLYING IN SCHOOL BE STOPPED,HOW SO?
    Can bullying in school be stopped,if so how possible?
    If no,give your reasons
    This topic will be good as it deals with their kid upbringing.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH?
    So many people had been baffeled with this very topics, we have been hearing story of life after death ,so with this topics we will get to know from peoples view

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics- IS PEER PRESSURE HARMFUL OR BENEFICIAL TO INDIVIDUAL?
    Well this topic will be much more interesting considering the fact that when a child follows a friend that theif ,he or she is considered a theif,but with this topics we will try to know how true it is but i don’t finalize it to be the finalize it to be truth ,your thoughts are needed

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- SHOULD GAY MARRIAGE BE LEGALIZED?
    Gay marriage simply means marriage between man and man
    We have been hearing of gay marriage and some country has legalized it. But what we do not know are the causes of such feelings? What would want a man to have that feelings of getting married to his fellow man?.
    What are the implications involved?
    We can never knew much about this,if the thoughts of admins and filtered thinkers are not involved

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics- ARE SECURITY CAMERAS AN INVASION OF OUR PRIVACY?
    We takes it to mean our safety ,why are they now an invasion of our privacy when we are just?

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topics-DO CELEBRITIES GET AWAY WITH MORE CRIMES THAN NON- CELEBRITIES?
    This very question has been asked by many and considering the happenings of the world why is it that celebrities dont get hooked up on their problem,rather they get away with it? Why the non celebrities are always persecuted for their crimes.
    Is it that some are above the law and some are not above the law?

Senroso
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 650

Suggested topic: Should intentional fouls leading to injuries in football be severely punished after match???

The topic aims to look at some of the gruesome tackles aimed at injuring key players in matches to earn an advantage, for instance,  d case of Ramos against Salah,  shouldn’t retrospective action be taken??

The

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- SHOULD FREEDOM OF SPEECH HAVE LIMITATION?
    One of our fundamental human rights are,right to freedom of speech . should this right be limited? When it is our right to speak.
    Well it just depend on the way we speak,some words or speech are detrimental and abusive to use on another and maybe they are the speech to be limited ,but how sure am i,when i haven,t get to learn from other peoples view

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic- SHOULD CUSTOMERS RECEIVES A REFUND IF THEY BUY AN ITEM ONLINE AND ITS BREAKS WITHIN THREE MONTHS OF APPROPRIATE USE?
    This topic is interesting because it will help us as an individual to asked our seller the guaranty given to any product we buy from them.

chibaby
    Participant

Suggested topic-SHOULD POLITICS BE DISCUSSED WITH OUR CHILDREN?
    This is a very interesting topics as it will help us to know if it is wrong or right to discuss politics with our children and also its effects or implication

adminguy
    Keymaster

First of all, thanks to all who provided very interesting suggestions as to what topics should be debated.

We have reviewed the suggestions, and we have selected the following topics for debate (with the proposer’s name in brackets):

Military or democracy (Samson)
    Privatization (Samson)
    State of the nation’s unity (Samson)
    Should religion and the state/government be one or separate?? (Aezolase)
    Death penalty (Chijann)
    Foreign and local products (Chijann)
    Heredity or environment, which one influences an individual the most? (Samson)
    Can bullying in school be stopped? (Chibaby)
    Should freedom of speech have limitation? (Chibaby)
    Should politics be discussed with our children? (Chibaby)

So, each proposer should create a new thread in this Debates section, introduce their topic and invite all to take part. Needless to say, you don’t have to limit this to Filtered Thinkers – you can invite anyone to register and join in.

A reminder – thoughtful posts on the debates will get a minimum of 5o points. The criteria used to judge thoughtful posts are the same as elsewhere; in addition, special attention will be given to posts that respond to a post that has already been made in the debate, in order to encourage the discussion on the topic.

Thanks again, and we look forward to interesting and insightful debates.

chibaby
    Participant

Debate topic- CAN BULLYING IN SCHOOL BE STOPPED,HOW SO?
    A Bully can be defined as a person who uses strenght or influence to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.
    The best and most obvious way to stop bullying in school is for parents to change the way they parents their children at home. Of course this is much easier said than done and everyone parents their children differently.

Bullying cant be stopped ,its how a kid is raised so if a kid is had a abusive mom or dad then the kid is going to release his or her angry on someone else then that kid is probably be a bully or get depressed. It doesnt start at school,its can,t end at school. Bullying is a societal issue ,schools are meant to educate. They are not the whipping boy for society,s ills. This is actually part of the problem use seem as a society is so quick to blame and pass the buck onto “Entities” such as schools as the solution to our problems
    I would suggest that bullying end in the home . parents should be monitoring what their children are doing on social media ,how they comment in the back seat of a car about other teens kid. These kids dont just say mean things at school. It is a pervasive issue and to be frank ,many of our parents need to consider the very way they treat others as a mirror,children learn what they see. If dad calls mom dirty”That child learns how to call others dirty
    You cant be a band-aid on the knee when the elbow is bleeding. Schools aren,t the cause of bullying nor are they the solution. If your child is being bullied ,empower him /her to speakout. Try to encourage them to find friends who accept them and to stick with those who will help them.
    Then as a parent, do your duty,encourage those parent who support bullies,to get off from the very act and let your child see you doing it,they can learn a valuable lessons
    It also wouldnt hurt to tell your bullied child to tell the bully to knock it off. More often than not,standing up to the bully is the easiest way to end it .

chibaby
    Participant

SHOULD FREEDOM OF SPEECH HAVE LIMITATION?
    Yes its important the definition of freedom doesnt mean you can do everything you want without being absolute control. People should use the advantage of freedom in a good way. But free speech is possible can change to hate speech if you don,t have a limit on that. To express your opinion its good but you also should know what,s right or wrong.
    Freedom of speech needs limitation or this world would go crazy. Everybody will think that theres no rules for freedom of speech and everybody will be going arround yelling and screaming at people about the stupidiest things and using curse words. At school the kids or student will stand up and speak their mind as they would say because if the teacher said something “wrong” to the students the kid would take advantage of the freedom of speech rule
    In conclusion we should have limitation on the freedom of speech debacie

chibaby
    Participant

SHOULD POLITICS BE DISCUSSED WITH OUR CHILDREN?
    Of course we should, we need our children to get used to the political landscape not when they are old enough ,blunder blindly into a vote or not vote at all. We wouldnt be brainwashing our children, not if we showed them both sides of the arguement ,allowed them to express themselves,children should learn to give ,take and debate opinions
    Listen to them
    Know whats on their mind
    Talk about it
    Keep it positive by giving intelligent and insightful reply to them
    Be reassuring,keep on telling them,you can do it
    Suggest they get involved in politics .

adminguy
    Keymaster

The debates have now been concluded; thanks to everyone who submitted topics and took part.

The results will be published soon.

adminguy
    Keymaster

The final results are out, and with 900 points accumulated from all the debates, the award of Filtered Debater goes to Chijann. Congratulations! This will certainly help in winning the Rolling Competition.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed, and we hope we can host this again sometime soon.

The forum ‘Debates’ is closed to new topics and replies.