SHOULD POLITICS BE DISCUSSED WITH OUR CHILDREN?

Home Forums Debates SHOULD POLITICS BE DISCUSSED WITH OUR CHILDREN?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chibaby 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

chibaby
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 610

Am by name @chibaby and i am for the motion that politics should be discussed with our children.
    To give it a meaning ,it is necessary i define politics.
    Politics is the process of making decision that apply to members of a group. It refers to acheiving and exercising positions of governance organized,control over a human community,particularly a state.
    Of course we should discuss politics with our children,we need our children to get used to the political landscape not qhen they are old enough ,blunder blindly into a vote at all. We wouldnt be brainwashing our children,not if we showed them both sides of the arguement,allowed them to express themselved,children should learn to give,take and debate opinions
    Listen to them
    Know whats on their mind
    Talk about it
    Keep it positive
    Be reassuring
    Suggest they get involved

Thoughtful Comments: 0.

CHIJANN
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3320

I am opposing the motion which supports that politics should be discussed with our children
    Eventhough the proposer of this topic did not define the meaning of a child/children as it is in her mind in this context making it hard for one to know the line of argument
    A child according to my dictionary is a young human being below the age of puberty or below the age of majority
    A child also can be defined as a son or daughter of any age’
    ‘Children’, is the plural form of child
    Majority is the age at which a person becomes an adult, it is 18years
    In Nigeria nobody below the age of 18years is allowed to vote
    Legaly, the person is yet to be an adult
    So what are you discussing something somebody is barred from doing with that person, something a person is not up to the age to get involved in.
    It is assumed that children have not reached the age to understand some certain things
    The legal system that forbids children from partaking in political activities has a reason and we are supposed to oblige
    When they reach the age of adulthood (18years) as the law says, that’s when I feel one can start to discuss such an issue with them.

Thoughtful Comments: 50.  50 (interesting)

chibaby
    Participant

@chijann
    I also disagree to the fact here that politics should,nt be discussed with our children and for more clarification “politics is the process of making decision that apply to members of a group. It refers to acheiving and exercisinh positions of governance-organized control over a human community particularly a state”
    Of course it is part of parenting,and all aspect of life like politics should be discussed with a child especially once they are school age,Don,t let an unionized leftist teacher be the only thought your child receives on any of this issues,our schools no longer teach children HOW to LEARN to THINK,but WHAT to THINK. You as a parent are the only circuit-breaker to the indoctrinating school system.
    Children are the next generation when political arguements are brought up without bias or any kind of fact. Check they will,undoubtedly create an opinion to form,whether this is for better or for the worse,that depends on the bias. Children should be part of politics but should not be presented unbiased information so they can have their own opinion.

CHIJANN
    Participant

@chibaby What business does one have discussing what he/she is banned from participating in especially in this case where the ban is about age
    There are some things someone can not understand due to age so that was why the law put it’at 18yesrs
    I feel that law should be obeyed keeping our children below 18 out of anything politics.

chibaby
    Participant

@chijann
    When it comes to talking about your kids about political matters,you may think that your 8 years old would rather be playing video games or that your 14 years old would prefer texting friends- but you might be wrong
    KidsHealth.org ask more than 2000 kids and teens throughout the United state what they thought about presidential elections and how they might affect them,if at all.
    A whooping 75% of kids and 79% of teens answered “yes” when asked whether they thought that the outcome of an election would change their lives,nearly half of teens surveyed said that they beleived they would had at least some influence on their parents choice of candidate
    So if you think your children are only interested in talking about kid,s stuff,think again or you simply need a rethink

Senroso
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 650

Our children should learn a thing or 2 about politics from an early age, one of the failures our parents failed to do is to put us into the right way,  I grew up in a political family. But my father never introduced me into politics,  I had to introduce myself,  now it’s the bigger picture,  I lack some basic experience of which had my dad discussed me with,  would have blended in well. Take the case of the elites,  there children are all in,  once they step out,  there children step in,  shouldn’t we consider doing so also??

CHIJANN
    Participant

@senroso Eventhough the proposer of this topic did not make it clear for us to know what children she is talking about whether she means children below 18years old or…..
    Insinuating that she meant kids less than 18years, I don’t see the need of discussing with them what they can not comprehend
    The legal system that said persons below 18years should not partake in this process had reasons for that.

chibaby
    Participant

@chijann
    We all know what children means Biologically a child(plural children) is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty.
    The legal definition of child generally refers to a minor,otherwise known as a person younger than the age of majority
    Children are those cared and nurtured and still under the care of their parent,guardian etc
    The idea through this definition and all the texts concerning child welfare is that a child is a human being with right
    I do not see anything wrong in discussing politics with our children ,children gain better knowledge when they come to certain age where he or she can understand things in a better manner,then fine,the matters of politics should then be discussed with them ,but make sure you don,t present them with unbiased or false information.

CHIJANN
    Participant

@chibaby Now you have clearly defined what you mean by children, I have seen that I am on point..
    In movies, each movie has a ‘rating’
    You see some rated 18years, and some rated ‘under parental guidance’
    By right a child below 18 has no business watching a movie rated 18years and above
    Stories are like movies and the law has said politics is for people from 18years and above
    There are reasons for saying this so I feel children should not be bothered with this.This is from the legal point of view
    From a layman’s view, why do you have to discuss something with someone who has not reached of age. I think it is a waste of time
    I remembered one day I was trying to narrate one political event to one girl around 14years and all she did was to laugh and said “BROTHER LEAVE ME,I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE SAYING” and she walked away.

chibaby
    Participant

@chijann
    Kids are already talking it. Chances are your kids are already having big and small discussion about the election. Whether their conversations are sparked by what they are learning in the classroom or they are happening more organically arround the lunch table,kids often know and /or pick- up on far more than what we realize. Whether your child is 6 or 16,parents absolutely must discuss political issues with them (because) kids have ear and are very aware of issues,sometimes more so than their parents because of greater skill with the “internet and social media”
    Children learn by participation we beleive firmly in educating our kids about the election process,especially during this election. In other words when we let our kids join us in our political process,they are not only learning the facts about how election work,but those facts start to become personal because they have experience them with us offering our kids context to an issue can go a long way toward helping them process and learn about important issues of our time.
    Kids need to learn how to disagree respectfully without being intimidated in any form of politics. Over and over again during election,we have watched candidates showcase poor taste in how they communicate with each other especially when ongoing on heated disagreement. Some parent use those instance to talk to their kids about how we as people should disagree.
    Finally politics isn,t just about you and me,its about other people too. Politics isn,t only about how a government or law affect us. It is also about how they affect other people,those we know and see everyday and others that we will never meet.

chibaby
    Participant

I conducted a survey through questionaire on this very topic “should politics be discussed with our children” and what do you understood by the word “questionaire”.
    A Questionaire is a research instrucment consisting of a series of questions(or other types of prompts) for the purpose of gathering information from respondents. And who are these “Respondent”. The “parents” that gave me their feedback.
    While 85% of parents agree to the fact that politics should be discussed with our children because whatever changes made in politics that affect the adult,the children are not also exempted,they get affected also.they say children are the leaders of tommorrow and who truely is a leader? A leader is a person or thing that hold a dominant or superior positions within its field. Children should be educated to know what is right or wrong in order to contribute immensely or positively in future when it comes to political matter.
    Also
    15% of the parents disagree to the fact that politics should not be discussed with our children and they says that children are too naive,and children simply don,t have the ability to evaluate sources and opinion. Discussions would be one sided attempts by the parents to brainwash their children into beleiving what they thought either consciously or unconsciously,kids are much too too easily influenced by a few key adults to not just become parrots repeating the opinions of the previous generation. Give them a chance to mature and learn why people end up beleiving what they do before exposing them to politics

adminguy
      Keymaster
      Filtered Thoughts Points: 10

@chibaby,

If you have a link to the questionnaire, you should share it here.

chibaby
    Participant

Ok @adminguy
    I conducted my questionaire through interactive discussion with parents arround my neighbourhood and that is how i got the fact from my respondents

The forum ‘Debates’ is closed to new topics and replies.