MY CHANGE

Home Forums Entertainment MY CHANGE

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Chinasa 6 months ago.

• Author

CHIJANN
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3320

My ‘Change’ your ‘Change’
    Ohh!!! Your mind will be going right now to the ‘CHANGE’ a party in Nigeria is preaching about.
    No, that is not the ‘CHANGE’ I am talking about now.
    I am referring to ‘ Balance’ one gets when he or she does a money transaction.
    Madam give me my change
    Bros/Sister have your change
    So so place #50 naira, enter with your change..o
    I know you might have come across this before.
    I have stood at a bus stop for so many hours one day just because I was going to a place that the fare was supposed to be #50naira and I was holding #1000naira.
    The buses refused to carry me and I saw no where to get ‘change’
    I have failed so many times to buy something I needed just because of this ‘change’ issue.
    I have paid over a price of transaction because of ‘No change’
    What of you? What have you experienced because of this issue of ‘Change’ and what do you think can be done to solve this problem.

Thoughtful Comments: 10.  10 (interesting)

Aezolase
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 2580

I have experienced delays in transactions, long walks to look for change, and even quarrels with people.

If only Nigeria will opt for production of the lower currencies compared to the higher ones, this issue can be solved.

Aezolase
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 2580

I mean production of more lower currencies compared to the higher ones

Thoughtful Comments: 0.

Samson
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 4730

Exactly.
    I have always wanted to find out why there are always fewer currencies in lower denomination than higher denomination?
    100 and 200naira are mostly dirty from over handling but I have never seen such dirt on a 500 or 1000 naira note which affirms my question.

Maybe the government is trying to blend the higher notes into the market but aren’t they forgetting that we can’t always buy high priced stuffs all the time.

At a point from late last year, it was like the CBN push back out some dirty looking 100naira notes that desperately needed serious recycling.

mayjovey
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 2600

As a business person,  Change is not suppose to be lacking in your purse.

A good business person go the extra mile to ensure there’s enough change before they start their business on a daily basis

Some other time they intentionally hide the change so customers can forget….

What I do is: I get enough change before going out to avoid any form of embarrassment whatsoever.

Adebulu
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 560

If not because am someone who is very calm, I would have quarreled with most of my customers on this ‘change’ issue.

The most annoying part is, they’ll bring the highest denomination (#1000.00) to pay for the work worth of only #50.00 early in the morning, am always frustrated like really?

Trust me, I’ll rather let such person go find the change or he go with everything than for me to start walking the whole street for change just cz of #50.00.

Thoughtful Comments: 10.  10 (informative)

Blacknizer
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 1250

This same problem of change has made me loose early appointments several times, an adjustment should be made generally on the circulation of denominations of certain naira notes, and also the quality,

there are also serious problems of naira notes not being presentable to some and okay for others.

I collected change from a taxi driver once complaining to him i told him it was a bit torn and dirty he said, it was the only money  he had and it was also given to him by a customer.

convincing me that any transporter i give would accept it. Well just immediately i gave it to a keke man, he refused saying  it was not good enough, that I should provide another.

I was lucky to have extra money on me, don’t know what I would have done.

There should be proper management of the naira notes by the CBN and other financial institutions, to reduce or even eradicate these problems.

Thoughtful Comments: 10.  10 (informative)

Chinasa
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 1320

Since we are aware that change is a problem in Nigeria, I believe it’s our responsibility to always keep change with us when going out. When you want to buy something which cost between 200 to 500, use 1000 to get it and not the exact amount. Break down what is left again till you have denominations of 50s and 100s or even 200s. Never buy anything with these denominations when you have 1000 naira or 500 naira with. Rather break them down, as many as you can, till you have enough change with you. This way you avoid problems on the road.

Volani E
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 190

This is what makes us who we are. Itx not a cool stuff, but itx kinda fun. ,

Adebulu
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 560

@blacknizer, The last part of your story has nothing to do with the CBN or Other Financial institution, It has to do with all of us. 98.8% of Nigerian Citizen abuse the Naira by squeezing them into their pocket, Currencies should be arranged in a purse neatly not squeezing them, The squeezing of Currencies results in tearing.

Squeezing of currencies is always common among the market women, Business men and Street hawkers, If the Government can enforce the Police and other security agencies to check this, I think there would be less torn currencies and more presentable ones.

Peace!

Blacknizer
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 1250

@adebulu I hope you know fully well that no matter how you handle the naira, either with care or otherwise it would still get old and unpresentable it just depends on the time it takes. , its paper when it has been circulated for long it becomes old and dirty. So when it does what next?

Its true that we handle the naira poorly but that is another issue on its own, despite all the laws pit inplace to stop this, it gets worse by the day..

If after sometime the CBN collects the old naira notes and substitute for new ones it would go a long way in helping better naira notes in the society.

witoz
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 50

the 1000note is too big for petty purchases and services. .
    I’d advise the restoration of our coins as it’d solve this so called ‘change’ problem.
    if you do flash back to the early 2000 or 90’s.. you’d see that the availability of change then was more than okay due to the coins and small money purchases..
    but for our present day,
    I’d advise one plans his spendings which includes the unforeseen before leaving home. .
    make purchases with twice the amount, thrice should be maximum to avoid change disputes

Chinasa
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 1320

Witoz, 1000 naira is not too big as I’ve used it severally for items ranging from 200 and above; Sometimes for things even less.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.