Military Or Democratic Government?

Home Forums Debates Military Or Democratic Government?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  adminguy 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Samson
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 4730

The Military government is the system of government that gives absolute power to the self-proclaimed leaders who are men of the armed forces whose rule is characterized with autocracy or dictatorship.

The Democratic government is the system of government with limited power selected by the people and for the people.

Our debate is which of these government will favour our Nation the most?

Should the military take complete charge the Nation’s affairs or is democracy doing good now compared to military of back then and should it continue?

All contributions are appreciated. Remember to Mae your point clear enough to at after a maximum of 50points.

So, let the debate begin!

Thoughtful Comments: 0.

chibaby
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 610

Democracy have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention. Have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death.
    Democracy dont realy exist governmentally . i really despise the popular use of the term “democracy” by politicians and pundits because its inaccurate
    While by the millitary takes on many forms but it clearly is at odds with rights of property and personal liberty
    The best form of government should be democratic republic with a constitution as the basis of law

Samson
    Participant

I would support a military regime at this particular point in time where almost every sector is crumbling.

Looking back at Nigeria after independence, the major landmarks of improvements were under the heavy khaki rules especially in Education.

I read somewhere in preparation for my just concluded examination that it was during the 1st military era that the very first and seemingly last free Nationwide basic education programme existed.
    The military government of then also took control over the tertiary institutions that recorded much competitions with the foreign educational system.
    Throughout my read through the eras of educational development, only the civilian rule had deteriorating effects on this and many other sectors especially due to unquestioned selfish interests.

If it was in a military regime, and one head is ruling astray, there are higher and better chances of a successful counter coup than there are of impeachment in democracy.

Democracy is suppose to be ying yang, a little bit of good and bad but over the years the bad has been gain more grounds which I believe cannot be reversed with mere polling units and ballot boxes but an intense force of a sudden sweep like it happened in Ghana.

Thank You.

Thoughtful Comments: 50.  50 (interesting)

CHIJANN
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3320

@samson I strongly oppose your proposal which says the military regime is better than democratic government now
    It is known world over by everyone that the worst democratic rule is better than the best military regime
    Having said that, there is no comparison between a government instituted by the people and a government forced on people
    No one ever feels happy with what he did not participate in the process of choosing
    In democratic government at least no one person takes an autocratic decision, people make inputs.
    Now at least one freely criticizes the government, while if it is military regime, who are you to do so unless you go exile.
    There is a little bit of accountability now while in military rule who are you to question the military head of state.
    There are forceful incarceration and torture and suppression of people’s voices in military regime.
    Military regime is just a case of ‘GRAVEYARD PEACE’

Senroso
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 650

In Nigeria for instance,  the major infrastructures we have were built by the military,  when the Naira to dollar was strong,  it was during the military,  though there is cruelty,  but an average Nigerian needs force or command to do the right,  imagine the IGP not following the command of d president to go to Benue state as per d words of the President,  would that happen under the military regime? ?  Would Fulani Herdsmen,  Boko Haram be rampaging under the military regime??? The major issue killing Nigeria is too much bureaucracy , imagine taking 7-9 months into the year before the year’s budget will be passed,  when will it be implemented???  In Nigeria,  we need military regime to set tinz right then perhaps we can consider democracy if truly we can continue practicing true democracy,  imagine you can vote as an 18 year old but can’t be voted for,  is that democracy???

CHIJANN
    Participant

@senroso Let us not always throw the baby away with the birth water. There is no civilised clime that still talk about military rule now. It is an acheic system of leadership and should not be clamored for.
    A type of leadership you can not question the leaders, every action is by force whether you like it or not.
    What good things can a regime do for its citizens when the citizens are under fear, when the citizens are not making any input.
    For the fact that Nigeria democracy is not working does not and should not create room for calling the military to come
    There was high level of corruption with impunity in the military era but because people were afraid to open it, that was why it was not heard
    Our democracy should be protected and made to work since it is an inclusive type of rulership and the dividends are better.

Samson
    Participant

With all respect, I think saying that the worse democratic rule is better than the best military regime is an unhealthy exaggeration.

History even supports the motion and so far what exactly has democracy done for us except the right to keeping choosing bad leaders and the freedom to only complain about them?

I will challenge those supporting the continuation of democracy to mention those notable achievements their so-called governments have made since their eras from independence?

No matter how bad a military regime is, all these insurgencies wouldn’t have lasted this long. Worse case scenario is a coup d’etat but we can’t even impeach an ordinary chair in the local government talk less the president.

I am not taking everything from democracy but it entertains corruption for too long unlike military where an internal agitation would have overthrown the corrupt government.

Samson
    Participant

@chibaby

How do you mean by a Democratic Republic?

CHIJANN
    Participant

@samson Even the military themselves know that they have no business in governance.
    Their duty is to protect the country from external aggression and to be called upon when there are serious treat to the citizens may be natural disaster of high magnitude.
    The problems you are seeing today in the country were 90% caused by the military
    The military ruled us for so much a long time and distablized the country
    They played the role of distractive force in Nigeria democratization process
    The military did not allow the fledgling democracies at various times and stages to evolve and mature with there frequent staging of coup d’etat.
    These actions really set us back as a nation and we would not want that again
    You talked about the insurgency problem in the country and how it wouldn’t have lasted under the military and I now ask- Is it not the military that has been given the power to fight the insurgents, why is it taking so long,must they take over the government before they carry out their functions
    You talked about corruption and how they will quash it, how do you feel that will happen when the military were the ones who institionalised curruption
    They can not solve our problems instead they will come and refuse to go and when they want to carry out a transition to civilian rule, they conduct a stagemanaged election
    The military ‘AUTHORITARIANISM’ is no more acceptable, even the likes of popular Fela Anikulapo Kuti was their critic
    There application of military laws to civilians and the threat or use of extrajudicial repression in form of torture, disappearancies and outright killings can not be what one will like to witness again no matter what rescue mission they claim they have come for.

Samson
    Participant

The issues against the military regime in your last paragraph are also seen even in today’s democracy only for the fact that they are not as specific.
    Talk of disappearance, what happened to the Chibok girls?
    Talk of extra judicial repression and I will bring up “JUDICIAL repression.”
    Talk of outright killings and I’d bring up the herdsmen in Benue which is completely an inter tribal affair because the government was quick to declare Biafra a terrorist group but reluctant with these Fulanis. If it were to be a military government, a high ranked officer who is sick of the bullshit would have attempted a coup since.

Democracy is as guilty as military in those accusations.

Talk about their unwillingness to hand over power, and I will remind us how much hate speeches and even hate actions these democratic rivals dish at each other. For example, one Northerner promising to make Jonathan’s government ungovernable and BOOM! Boko Haram appeared out of the blue.

And don’t even talk about how the military “state manage” elections when it is time to hand over to civilian rule because that will only soil your point more than it will soil mine.

They are both guilty as charged and the only thing democracy has offer so far is “freedom.”
    Where has that gotten us?
    A shithole country, it seems.

Military isn’t flawless but discipline is really what we need as a Nation right now.

Imagine, Good luck Jonathan was a military man being the head of state in a military regime…do you think he would have been so manipulated in office?

CHIJANN
    Participant

@samson No clime that wants to move forward will dream of calling the military to come and rule them even if it is for one day. Their leadership will take us back again, I call their era the dark era
    Most of these things you are seeing today is because the system has not totally gotten itself from the militarized effects
    The disappearance of the Chibok girls, the herdsmen killings in Benue and other security issues Samson raised are still under the duties of the military
    Let them stand up and do their job. Must they be in the executive before they carry out their duties of maintaining peace?
    The staging of coup d’etat which Samson talked about and which is what they are known for is even one of the main reasons I oppose the clamor of their coming back.
    Coup upon counter coup the whole system continues to get messed up
    Any government one cannot question is not advisable so I advocate we move on with our democracy and nurse it to maturity.
    Let us not allow anything that will put ‘stopages’ again in it.

chibaby
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 610

@samson
    A democratic republic is a form of government operating on principles adopted from a republic and a democracy.
    A democratic republic is also a country that is both a republic and a democracy. It is one where ultimate authority and power is derived from the citizens
    The key difference between a democracy and a republic lies in the limits placed on government by the law,which has implications for minorities rights. Both forms of government tend to use a representational system-i.e citizens vote to elect politicians to represent their interest and form the government . in a republic,a constitution or charter of rights protects certain inalienable rights that cannot be taken away by the government, even if it was been elected by a majority of voters in a “pure democracy” the majority is not restrained in this way and can impose its will on the minority.
    Most modern nation are democratic republic with a constitution,which can be amended by a popularly elected government. This comparison therefore contrast the form of government in most countries today with a theoritically construct of a “pure democracy” mainly to highlight the feature of democracy. Yes we are in a democratic states, but are we truely practising it? Why not go for a pure democracy.

Senroso
    Participant

Which is better,  too much procedure and bureaucracy with nothing to show for it???  Or oya oya and outcome is achieved???

Senroso
    Participant

@chijann

To be realistic,  to you military leaders were not question,  then Tel me,  with PMB Now being a civilian president,  those anyone question him???  If yes,  why is there are so many unanswered questions,  for instance,  no one is saying anything about Leah,  is the president questioned???

CHIJANN
    Participant

@senroso Thank you so much.
    I don’t think we are allowed to mention someones/peoples names directly on this platform
    Well your question is like a support to what I have been trying to pass through.
    The person you called his name, what stock is he from? THE MILITARY OF COURSE.
    Removing your military uniform to rule in a civilian dispensation, does not remove your training or automatically change your mindset. That’s why you are experiencing ‘the cause’ of this question you directed to me
    The whole clime is still militarized, under military mindset, and we have not reached our destination yet
    When a true democrat takes over the affairs of the nation, a lot of things will naturally start falling in place and that’s why we shouldn’t support the leadership of the military at all at all.
    They are not trained to rule but to protect.

adminguy
      Keymaster
      Filtered Thoughts Points: 10

@chijann, it’s OK to mention the names of public figures (e.g. politicians, celebrities) on this forum.

Samson
    Participant

I still insist those in support of democracy over military should point out some remarkable achievement of democracy so far and I will do the same for military.

Independence (1960-1966)
    1st military (1966-1979)
    2nd republic (1979-1983)
    2nd military (1983-1999)
    After then (1999-2018)

By my calculations, Democracy has had 6years of independence plus 4years of the republic and 19years from 1999 till date totaling 29years which is exactly the same with the military era of 13years from the 1st and 16years from the 2nd.

With the above statistics, they both has had equal chances and I ask again…what are the significant impart of those eras of democracy which happens to still be in progress?

The claims of military distabilizing the government and democracy having to fix it back is too biased to be legit as democracy also mess things up for the military to fix.

What do you think brought about the two time overthrow of Democratic rule if not the incompetency of civilians to manage the Nation without greed which always angered the military to coup?

Senroso
    Participant

@chijann

Of course he is wearing a white collar that is a civilian, there some names we are all familiar with, civilians doing nothing and yet not been questioned. Go to Kaduna,  or kogi,  nothing is happening positively but are they questioned???  Or is Bauchi,  Adamawa???  Salaries been withheld but no one is saying anything.  Are they above the law???

Samson
    Participant

I may be one of the few that still believe the present government came in with good intentions than what it seems but these intentions are been inhibited by the unending protocols that has to be passed before execution.

If it were to be in a military regime, the present government, especially as an ex-service man would have gone ahead with those good plans unhindered but look at where we are…all because the Secretary, Senators, House of Rep, Governors, Ministers, Local governments, even each and every one of the masses have to approve of his intentions and with these much signatories, so many good plans never get to see the light of the day because most of the minorities that that plan will not favor are also part of these signatories and we all know the rest of the story.

Just like the old saying; too many cooks, spoil the broth.

CHIJANN
    Participant

I am still of the opinion that no one person is perfect and that is why democracy is better than military which represents autocracy
    There is a saying that ‘TWO HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE’
    As a military leader, your good intentions which you implement right away might not be what the people actually want at that moment and when deliberated on might not even be accepted to the majority of the people
    Power intoxicates not even talking of absolute one.

CHIJANN
    Participant

@senroso I am very much away of what you have rightly said. Leaders in democracy authoritatively rulling as tyrants.
    Because military ruled us for a long time the system of their leadership have not completely left our people
    That is the reason you see the government of those states you mentioned and even the ones you did not mention behaving the way they are behaving
    While we are trying to eradicate that mindset of autocracy which is an attribute of the military, we cannot be mentioning them to come again to rekindle it
    A particular mindset goes away with time, so let’s move on and continue to complain, I believe in no distant time every thing or at least most things will go the right way

The forum ‘Debates’ is closed to new topics and replies.