Good, Bad And Reason.

Home Forums Politics and Philosophy Good, Bad And Reason.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Samson 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Samson
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 4730

I saw this illustration in one episode of my favorite animated series FAMILY GUY.

A tattered looking man broke into a store and stole a handful of canned products then ran out as a policeman gave him a chase.
    The thief ran into an uncompleted building and there was his family of four very little children with bulgy eyes looking so hungry.
    When the policeman busted in, screaming FREEZE! He saw the situation even as the thief explained how he only just wanted to feed his family even if it was for the last time.
    The thief even willingly offered himself to be arrested but the policeman, now teary freed the thief which clearly explains the topic.

The thief obviously did “bad” to steal and the policeman was doing a “good” job trying to catch the thief but somewhere in between this good and bad was a reason.

Thoughtful Comments: 10.  10 (interesting)

CHIJANN
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3320

But I don’t think there should be any reason for doing bad.
    Well the condition was really pitiable.

Thoughtful Comments: 0.

Samson
    Participant

Smiles.

If you were the policeman, would you have arrested him according to the law?

Janefrances
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 390

In my opinion, good or bad depends on the action, the place, the time, intention and the condition also severity is to be considered.

If a good deed is done at the wrong time, wrong place and with a wrong intention, it automatically become’s bad but if what we perceive as wrong is done for the right reason and intention, the term bad might no longer be fitting.

Looking at the case of the man, some questions need to be asked. Is he a lazy man who has refused to work? Had he tried begging and no one gave him? And did the people he stole from still have enough to eat after he did?

If the answers are no to the first and yes to the second and third, then I would hardly call what he did  wrong. Why ?

In morality,  survival is absolutely important. It is afterall our duty as a people to ensure that our neighbours do not starve to death which means it is the society’s fault that he was reduced to such a state of hunger, that he needed to steal food.

Have we ever wondered why even in law, killing suddenly changes name from murder to self defense when it is done in protection of self or another from being killed? It is because the morality of survival allows so. It is only extraordinary people, that can sacrifice themselves for a good name. Normal people don’t infact life is so precious that we are bound by law and morality to protect it.

Bad is bad but when done in a poor  mental state or for a moral reason, it becomes justifiable. Not good but justifiable.

Femi Onileagbon
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 3755

If I were the policeman, I will arrest the man but allow the project. The reason is this when you allow a bad deed (no matter how good the intention is) to go unchecked, it gives room for another one to be perpetrated by the same person. If the man had escaped, are you telling me he wouldn’t have stolen again to feed his children? And if he succeeds the second, third and fourth time, what then?

Many who become armed robbers stole the first time to feed themselves or buy clothes to wear. If the man really cared about feeding his children, why not go to Idumota, Mile 12 or the nearest market and carry loads to feed them? Won’t the sight of a man working hard to feed his kids, and the children hurdled up somewhere as their father hustle move some people? Nigerians are kind-hearted people no matter what is said about us. If they can give alms to those who don’t deserve it, they will surely give to this man.

The man should have been arrested and the children placed under the government’s care. That will take the burden of care from the man and allow him to get his acts together after he has been released. If there is any mercy to be shown the man, let the court or the DPOdo so.

Samson
    Participant

Hmm, that’s an interesting point of view. @femi

Samson
    Participant

but wouldn’t arresting him take away their father whom they already see as their hero therefore making you a villian?

A nice idea to shelter his children under government care but wouldn’t it be better if the government took care of the head instead?
    Provide a suitable job for the man who will in turn care for the kids.

Like my Jcole said “…they sent your pops to prison when he needed education.” In this case the poor man needed a job not a judge.

Femi Onileagbon
    Participant

We can agree that government should provide jobs but why not face the reality that the government is not providing enough jobs. Have you read Femi Osofisan’s ‘Once Upon Four Robbers’? I suggest you do, my brother. It will put this discussion in a far-reaching perspective.

Not everyone who goes to court get sent to prison. Some are shown compassion by the court and told to do community service. From there it is possible to get a job. While the government takes care of his kids, he works. Meanwhile he knows he has a prior so if he steals again, he is going to jail. Let us not set a precedence that will come to bite us. If we allow every man that steals to feed his children go scot free, them we may have an epidemic of stealing to feed your children on our hands soon.

May I also suggest we watch the film ‘Kingdom of Heaven’? Balian refuses to do a little evil for the greater good and ends us saving the people as well as having a clear conscience. Most of the great evil perpetrated in the world started from doing a ‘small evil’ like looking the other way or excusing the committing of evil for sentimental reasons. In fact, I will also recommend watching Billions Season 1. Watch out for what the district attorney says when he tells a man to pack his dog’d poo with his bare hands.

mayjovey
    Participant
    Filtered Thoughts Points: 2600

Let’s take a look at this from another point of view…

The man had a good enough reason to go steal(though i don’t see any reason good enough to go steal)

Let’s take into consideration the person that is been stolen from, do you know if that act will cost him his job?

It is better to go begging than stealing.

There’s no justifiable reason for that.

Samson
    Participant

@mayjovey

Hmm, that’s affair point.
    We’ve almost forgotten who the real victim is/was.

Even the bible says when a thief is caught, he or she should pay in seven folds of what they have stolen.

But in this case, the thief can’t afford to pay one fold, even half sef.

Killing or sending him to prison won’t bring back the stolen goods but finding him employment and mandating he pays back what was stolen with his salary will.

Femi Onileagbon
    Participant

@samson, that’s the point. He shouldn’t just be allowed into the streets again. The next victim might even club him to death.

Now, we must also think about our part in being our brother’s keepers. It may be impossible to carry food and clothing around looking for whom to give but if each community than can a food shelter, won’t that help? One can take certain things he does not need, even deliberately buy some, and donate to the food shelter to care for the needs of those who lack. Of course, the problem will be corruption and greed -people stole dates and other stuff meant for IDPs. All the same, food shelters will be a good idea- one in each community, close to the town hall.

Samson
    Participant

@femi
    Just as you highlighted, the issue of fraud in sensitive sectors as IDPs really goes a long way in discouraging benefactors from giving to charity organisations.

I’ve always heard of those in charge siphoning donations and diverting bank deposits to their personal accounts.
    How callous!
    Some level of human wickedness had always strengthened my belief that hellfire has to be real.

Anger aside, I advocate more for what its called or what I call direct contact charity.
    And that is giving directly to the needy rather than a third party or organisation who are given to give the needy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.